Bill O’Rielly and his O’Rielly factor TV show on the Fox news network is known for being a never ending source of logical fallacies. Specifically, concerning the Israel war on the Arabs, nearly every form of rhetorical device and every kind of sleight f hand in argument is used to defend Israel agaisnt its caitve population in the West Bank and the Gaza strip.
Case in point: the October 22, 2008 “O’Rielly Factor” show featured this argument:
a) The Hezbullah organization is not a state
b) Hezhullah military organization does not wear uniforms
c) Hezbullah are terrorists, and therefore
d) Israel can act as they please in defending themselves against them.
Several specific fallacies can be detected here:
1. Ignoratio Elenchi, or in this case, the use of popular sentiment: terrorists are bad, defense against them is good. There is no sense of defining this hor word in this context. It is a means of diverting attention rather than addressing root causes.
2. O’Rielly denies that Hezbullah is a state, they are hence, illegitimate and have no “moral equivalence” to Israel, that is a state. Hence, Hezbullah are terrorists without rights relative to states, i.e. Israel. Among many other things, this is the fallacy of “false cause.”
Assignment 2: Rhetorical Devices: (source, The handbook of Rhetorical Devices, by Robert Harris, published by Virtual Salt, 2008)
1. arm every man, woman, and child in America (Hyperbole)
2. gun-pushers (Epithet)
3. big war (Hyperbole)
4. fanatical (expletive)
5. assault weapons (Antithesis – of a sort, creating the image of big, bad guns versus small handguns)
6. cop-killer bullets Antithesis, same as above)
1. big money guys (Epithet)
2. smuggled (metaphor – the attempt is to make their opponents look criminal)
3. stop at nothing (another metaphor, it is a means to make their opponents look fanatical and mentally unbalanced.). . . as they want
4. Is it possible (Procatalepsis is used here in the fear that it is possible that such things might not lead to traffic snarls, it is a form of protection.)
5. perfectly clear that (amplification? Might be used to stress the fact that only loonies could ever disagree)
6. But (sense of change, something can be done)
7. Can the developers be stopped in their desire to wreck our town? (Rhetorical question and Climax)
Assignment 3: Fallacies in Print
Time author Tony Koron made the following argument on February 4, 2009 (it can be accessed here: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1877193,00.html
The argument goes like this:
1. Russia is playing a great power game with the US in central Asia
2. This is evidenced by the fact that Russia just made a deal with the US over air bases in Kyrgyzstan.
3. The deal was motivated by the desire of the US to fight “its” war in Afghanistan against the Taliban
4. If the US loses the war, the Taliban will excite other Islamic forces in southern Russia
5. Hence, Russian co-operation is derived from crude self interest
6. This self interest is manifest in having the US fight “its’ wars.
Making sense of this: the argument is that Russia has interest x and interest y that conflicts. Interest x is the defeat of Muslim Fundamentalists, interest y is having the US out of Central Asia. The recent deal to permit US bases on Kyrgyz soil is a form of compromise between the two interests. Hence, Russia is devious and playing a “game.” Several fallacies derive from this:
a) Begging the question: Russia’s behavior may well be a response to precisely the game American is playing.
b) Whoever wants the Taliban to lose supports the US
Russia wants the Taliban to lose
Hence, Russia supports the US
This is the fallacy of Accident. There are many reasons why one would support the US, and many other ways to deal with the Taliban other than supporting the US. Including the idea that the Taliban, like the Iranians, have no support outside of Afghanistan.
The argument, in other words, begins from the unstated premise that “the Ruskies are untrustworthy, everything they do is part of a game of deceit.” This is what gives force to the argument, not the complex facts of Central Asian politics.
Why Work With StudyAcer
Quality Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.