Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) In this individual assignment, you are required to interview someone who is different from you (see criteria below) so that you may learn from the interviewee and be able to adequately reflect on the questions for analysis as given below. Please make yourself aware of questions for interview and for analysis before conducting the interview. This interview is designed for students who are learning about diversity.
Find someone who meets all three criteria:
at least 7 years older or younger than you are;
doing work that you may not imagine yourself doing; and
culturally distinctly different from you.
Conducting the Interview
Your goal is to get the person talking. Listen for what is said, what is implied, and what is not said. Try not to insert your opinions and experience. Use the sample interview questions as below; please feel free to add your own.
Start the interview by explaining who you are and why you are interviewing him or her. Thank the person sincerely for giving you his or her time and thoughts. Be sensitive throughout the interview regarding whether the person wants to continue.
Sample Interview Questions
Start with questions that are easy and comfortable to answer.
1. What kind of work do you do?
2. How long have you been doing it?
3. Can you describe a typical workday?
Then move to questions that require more thought and rapport with the interviewer.
1. Why did you end up doing this work? What kind of person often does this sort of work? (And would you consider yourself typical?)
2. What do you like about this work?
3. What is difficult about this work?
4. How do [customers, others in the company, etc.] treat you? What do they think about the job you do? [Adapt this question to fit your particular interview—try to get at how the person thinks he or she is treated based on his or her work.] 5. How does being a [fill in the blank with a salient cultural category: man, older person, African-American, 20-something, etc.] play into the work you do?
6. Has this work changed the way you think about yourself and about the world? 7. What are some cultural values that are important to you? [It can be family, work, or interpersonal.] Do you think these are similar to or different from mainstream American culture? Please explain your ideas. 8. What do you like best about American culture? What do you like least? [Even if the person is American, he or she will have an opinion about this question that gives you some insight about how he or she views things from his or her perspective.] Thank him or her again.
Analysis of Your Interview and Writing Your Report
Think about your interview, the person, and his or her work. Please consider these questions as you write your report for this assignment. Make sure to present a well thought response based on your interview and these questions. 1. First, state who the interviewee is and how does he or she meet the three criteria (all three should be met). 2. What aspects of this person’s work determine or indicate his or her status relative to others? 3. What are some of the connections between this person’s work experience and gender, race, age, and/or ethnicity, etc.? 4. What kinds of attitudes, values, and behaviors does this person’s work culture encourage? 5. What attitudes and values held by this person are similar to your own, and which are different? 6. From this interview, what can give us insight into communicating across cultures or across work cultures?
Why Work With StudyAcer
Quality Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have hired a team of professional writers experienced in academic and business writing. Most of them are native speakers and PhD holders able to take care of any assignment you need help with.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. We will always strive to deliver on time.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied.